It’s been one very wet and cold winter this year, and it doesn’t look like it’s going to get any warmer or drier anytime soon! Because of this, you’re probably not overly keen to put your green thumb to use outside, and we don’t blame you. Instead, why not get creative and make your very own indoor garden instead? We’ll help you get started!
Build a terrarium
If you like the idea of an indoor garden, but hate the idea of too much maintenance, then a terrarium is a perfect choice. Easy to make and even easier to maintain, a terrarium adds a touch of colour to your kitchen or dining space, which will definitely help to alleviate some of those winter blues!
To make a terrarium, you’ll need the following materials:
- A clear glass or plastic jar, bowl or vase
- Potting mix
- Decorative rocks, glass or pebbles
- Plants (the sky’s the limit here – simply visit your local garden centre and ask the staff there. You’ll want to combine plants that enjoy the same light and humidity conditions)
- Activated charcoal (will help prevent mould)
- Gardening gloves/trowel
To set up your terrarium, simply start by placing a layer of the decorative stones or pebbles at the bottom of the container, followed by a small amount of activated charcoal. Then, add the potting mix, give it a little water, and finish off by planting your plants. Too easy!
Create a herb garden in your kitchen
If you’re a keen cook, no doubt you’re someone who likes using fresh herbs in recipes. Luckily, creating your own herb garden in your kitchen is quick and easy to achieve – and will save you money in the long run. All you need to do is make sure you give your plants plenty of TLC and sunshine, and you’re good to go!
To find out which herbs grow best in Perth kitchens, make sure to check out our previous blog post here.
Get creative with containers
Don’t fancy seeing run-of-the-mill plant pots in your kitchen or living space? Then why not get creative with different ways to display your potted plants? Different containers you can try out include:
- Mason jars
- Recycled glass jars
- Recycled tin cans
- Ceramics (like tea cups or bowls)
- Vintage tins
General indoor gardening tips
Whether you’re just looking to create a small herb garden, or something a little bigger, there are a few things you should consider when creating an indoor garden. These include:
- Choose the right space – one with plenty of natural light and as much warmth as possible.
- Read the labels. Some plants like more water and nutrients, some, like cacti, will hate you if you over-water them. It helps to plant “like” plants together, so you give them all the love they need!
- Don’t skimp on the potting mix. Poor soil will leave your plants feeling decidedly unhappy, and nobody wants that!
- Keep your plants happy and maintained. Make sure their soil isn’t too dry, and prune away any dead leaves to keep your plants healthy and strong.